Dean of Studies
As an Academic Dean, I occupy a unique place in the continuum of academic administrators, as the facilitating link among Department Heads /School Directors, department members, staff, students, and the school leadership. All activities and roles of the Dean are undertaken in light of furthering the best interests of the students of State House Girls High School.
Deans play five essential roles, serving as:
- academic leaders
- representatives of their schools to the rest of the Schools, especially School administration;
- representatives of School leadership to their Schools;
- managers of school resources; and,
- Representatives of the School and to external bodies. These five roles remain constant even though specific responsibilities and duties may vary according to the mission, size, and complexity of the School.
The Deans’ responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- coordinating the development of and implementing the School’s Vision and Goals Statement;
- leading the School’s efforts toward achieving It’s goals;
- managing the fiscal affairs of the school;
- leading, and coordinating School’s strategic planning and curriculum development;
- Supervising, evaluating, and supporting Department in a manner that promotes excellence in instruction, scholarly and creative productivity. and service at State House Girls;
- leading and coordinating the governance of the School;
- coordinating the professional development of the School’s staff;
- evaluating Department Heads and staff;
- evaluating overall Departmental/School productivity in instruction, research, and service responsibilities;
- advising the School Principal on School policies and procedures;
- providing recommendations to the Principal on policies and procedures, especially in the academic area;
- Developing, leading, and encouraging any support of the school’s goals and the goals of its departments and programs, as well as outreach and public service efforts.
The school offers the following subjects
- Mathematic.2.English.3.Kiswahili, 4.Chemistry. 5. Biology.6. Physics. 7. Christian religious education.8.Islamic religious education. 9. History.10.Geography.11.Business studies.12.Computer studies. 13. Home science.14.Agriculture.15.Art& design.16.Music.17.French. 18. German.
At form one third term, students are allowed to select subjects based on their areas of ability and interest in the following categories.
To decide to continue with physics or drop it, to at least choose two humanities and two sciences (i.e. Chemistry-Biology).
The school has adopteda rich curriculum which promotes the achievement of the National of Education Goals in Kenya which are infused in the teaching of different subjects in the curriculum.
The teaching of computer studies, Agriculture, Homescience, Art & Design and business Studies enables the leaners to acquire knowledge that can be used effectively in future for self-economic gains and enhance self –reliance.
Other special subjects like German and French are geared towards assisting the student in nurturing their language skills which they can make use of in terms of job opportunities.
The department also deals with coordination of the implementation of the syllabus at different levels in the school.
It is also in charge of ensuring that appropriate methods are used in implementing the curriculum and testing the students for effective achievement of the best goals.
It is the desire of the school that by the time the student leaves State House Girls she will be equipped with the skills and knowledge that makes them fit and compete fairly well with other students joining higher levels of learning in this country or elsewhere.
The school has adopted a vertical system where a subject teacher moves with the students up to the time they do their exams in form 4.
Once the students choose their subjects at form two and change classes they maintain the same up to the time they graduate at form 4. The purpose is to enhance performance and accountability.